Friday, May 17, 2013

Roasted Red Pepper Hummus


My son asked me to send hummus to his school party.  They were celebrating the end of a big Greek and Roman history unit.  Interesting how you get "volunteered" for these things!  Apparently, it was a big hit, because the container came back almost empty!  Sure, you can pick some up at the market, but it is so insanely easy to make (not to mention tastes great) that there's no reason not to make it from scratch.  Basically, you dump it all into the food processor and give it a whirl!  That's it!!

Click for Printable Recipe 

Ingredients:
  • 1 (15 oz) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained
  • 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (about 1 1/2 large lemons)
  • 1/4 cup tahini
  • 2 large cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1 tsp kosher salt
  • 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 tsp ground cumin
  • 3/4 cup - 1 cup jarred roasted red peppers, drained
  • 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil + more for serving if you'd like
Method:
Throw it all in a food processor and blend until smooth and creamy!  Garnish with a little olive oil and cayenne.  Serve with pita bread triangles or chips.


Step-by-Step:
Drain the chick peas.  I used the reduced sodium version.  Feel free to use whichever kind you prefer.
1 (15 oz) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained
 Add the chickpeas to the food processor, then all the other ingredients except for the olive oil.
drained chickpeas

1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (about 1 1/2 large lemons)

1/4 cup tahini

2 large cloves of garlic, minced coarsely.

1 tsp kosher salt

1/8 tsp cayenne pepper

1/2 tsp ground cumin
3/4 cup - 1 cup jarred roasted red peppers, drained
Press go! :)
While the processor is doing its job, drizzle in the extra virgin olive oil.
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil



Process the mixture until it's creamy and smooth.

Garnish with extra diced roasted red peppers, a drizzle of olive oil, and a bit more cayenne.
A super easy, healthy and delicious appetizer!!
 Cover and store in the refrigerator up to several days.  But it won't last that long!

Enjoy this recipe?
Please visit my Recipe Index for more delicious recipes!  And be sure to sign up on the home page as a Subscriber so you can be included in the MenuMusings community, newsletters, etc.

Order the Menu Musings Cookbook! 

Here are a few more appetizer recipes to pique your interest:
 




 Click here to Subscribe to MenuMusings so you won't miss a thing!

7 comments:

  1. I've been lurking around for a while now, and I think it's about time I leave you a comment! This is Sarah Ellzey (formerly Sarah Knox). You taught me at WCU for A & P 1 and 2 and Advanced Phys! I love your photos, they are so drool-worthy! I am a lifelong foodie with babies all around my ankles right now, so I don't get to try a lot of new recipes, but I love drooling over your posts! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Sarah! Glad you've been lurking! Let me know when you try some of them. Julie

      Delete
  2. Can I make this without the peppers? It looks great, but I don't have any peppers and I love plain hummus. Thanks! The pics are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure thing! Give it a shot and let us all know how it came out.

      Delete
  3. made the hummus - love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Julie! I made the hummas. Loved it! Thanks for the recipe!
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete

Follow me on Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest